Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Dreaded Facebook Announcement

How horrible is that someone announcing they are expecting on facebook puts me into a bad mood? Doesn't even matter if it is an aquaintance or my best friend. It upsets me everytime. Then I feel bad that someone else's happiest moment in their life pisses me off. And I actually then count the number of people I know are pregnant then I write myself off because what are the chances that I would know 11 people who are pregnant and then be the 12th. (this is an accurate number in my life right now - 11)

I know it doesn't work that way. It's not like God is sitting up there saying "I reached my limit of pregnancies this month, maybe next time Franklin". But in my crazy head, this is what I think occurs every time someone else I know pops up pregnant. I think "great, she is pregnant so that means I can't be" which is ludicrous!

OK Honesty time: When someone announces they are pregnant on Facebook, I become a psycho stalker for at least a day. I read everyone's congrats and comments (never commenting myself if person knows about our struggle to start a family because I do not want to draw attention to my infertile uterus). Then I go back and read past status updates looking for posts that imply pregnancy (ex: I am so tired or I have felt under the weather lately - these two always trip my pregnancy radar).

So just know if we are friends on Facebook and you are pregnant, I am totally stalking your page. Maybe if I read enough and look at enough ultrasound pics, it will rub off on me?

4 comments:

  1. I purposefully did not make a Facebook announcement....I'm sure it will eventually come out and most of my fb friends already know, but I couldn't bring myself to do it even by saying after 4.5 years of trying with and with out medical intervention, and after suffering a miscarriage or 2 or 3....we are happy to announce....blah blah blah...I couldn't do it...

    They hurt too much when I read them. I didn't want to be responsible for making anyone else hurt.... So I totally get it, and I was a stalker too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I've so been doing the same thing. A very distant friend of mine hasn't even announced yet, but I know from another mutual friend that she's knocked up, and I'm totally becoming an obsessive stalker waiting to see the baby bump and be disgusted. Ahh, masochism. You gotta love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do the same thing. I'll hide them from my newsfeed but then stalk them for a few days. Infertility has friend my brain.

    ReplyDelete