Monday, August 3, 2009

Aunt Flow has arrived. (and right on time)

We have been hoping and praying that Aunt Flow wouldn't show up this month and that I would have the pleasure of calling the fertility Doctor and tell him "thanks but no thanks. Infertile are we no more!" But Aunt Flow tends to be a pretty punctual visitor and like many months before, she showed up on time.


Thus begins our "IVF adventure". I had my first real appointment with Dr. Le today. One thing I do not like about going to this Doctor is stripping down and sitting in that chair contraption for what seems like an infinite amount of time waiting for the doctor. I am so paranoid that I can't help but listen to what is being said outside and if I can't hear, I tend to make up my own conversations.

Here is an example of the ridiculous things I think up while waiting for the doctor:

Dr Le looking at my chart: "Man, this ones never going to conceive. Good luck with those sad looking eggs. She may as well give it up and get a dog or adopt" Then he and the nurse laugh at my sad pathetic chart and he knocks on the door to come meet me with an ear to ear grin.

Yeah, I know. Ludicrous thoughts run through my head. I am a complete spaz and am trying to either fix that or embrace it and laugh at it.


After I got over the anxiety, it was pretty simple. I went in and they did a sonogram and I only have 6 eggs this month. :( A woman my age typically has between 15 and 20 so I am low low low low low low low. So since I don't release that many eggs, I will not be taking birth control like other IVF'ers do.

Dr. Le said he has read some studies that show that the monthly selection of the eggs could come even earlier than the first day of your cycle. (even a week before) Since the body then naturally trims down the selection to just one egg at the end of your cycle (the healthiest and best egg ever!), he thinks maybe my selection is happening earlier so I may have had 12 eggs but they have already been trimmed down to 6 eggs by the time of my first sonogram. He is going to give me medicine to suppress the hormone that will make the selection early so that next cycle (the IVF cycle) there will be more eggs to choose from.

I go back on the 17th of August for another sonogram to see how many of my sad, lonely 6 eggs are still there and healthy. Then, we start talking injections! OUCH! Dr. Le is betting on my age, the fact I have gotten pregnant before (even though I miscarried) and that even though I don't have a lot of eggs, the quality should still be good.

I bet people have told you this before. It is "QUALITY" not "QUANTITY" that matters and that is SO true for us right now! :)

We truly appreciate all the thoughts and prayers you guys have been sending our way. Please keep them coming. (thanks Baleigh!)

No comments:

Post a Comment