Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Beware: Exam Room 16

Yesterday was my trial transfer. Originally I had this appointment set up as a lunch appointment at the Arlington office but after talking with a friend who has gone through IVF about her trial transfer experience, I freaked out and changed it to a late afternoon appointment at the Irving office. I even asked a friend to come with me in case I couldn't drive home, which was not neccesary at all but better to be prepared for anything just in case!

I arrived at the office about ten mintutes early and went back to exam room 16. Note to self: if they ever try to put me in that room again, demand a different one! I was already hot and had the red splotches on my chest because I was nervous but the minute I walked into this room I thought I was going to die! It was so hot! I looked at the nurse and she seemed to be ok so I thought maybe I was just hot because I was so nervous. Once she left, I stripped my bottoms off like I was in a race and first prize was an easy pregnancy and healthy baby. I have never been so happy to get undressed at a Doctor's office in my life. I even thought to myself "I am so hot, I wish I could take off my shirt too" hahahaha. (I left the shirt on, didn't want to make it awkward for the Doctor)

The walls in the office are very thin I gather because I could hear the Doctor in the room next to me. (see previous blog about my obsession to listen to everything outside my exam room) This time I could hear a lot more and the couple in the room next to me is having twins and on their first IVF attempt! So that made me feel good. At this point, I am sweating and looking around for an air vent to stand under. No such luck. So I wait, bottomless with a paper sheet over me, sweating, sticking to the paper under me and about to be examined. GREAT.

Finally the Doctor comes in and the minute he steps in the room he states "It's a lil warm in here huh?" I responded "Oh, I thought it was just me" Why did I say this? I don't know. I knew dang well that the room was steaming hot but I had to play it cool. He then states "Oh this is the hottest room in the clinic" My automatic response was "Can we change rooms?" I was THAT hot. I would rather get dressed again, go into another room to get undressed to be examined than be torturedin this hot room one more minute. But he said it would be really quick and it was. (I think he was hot too)

The trial transfer is just to make sure he can get past my cervix without any problems and is very similiar to a sonogram and the IUI I had combined. Even when he said "you may cramp a little", I didn't feel anything. He put a drop of water in my uterus then did a sonogram to make sure he could see the water and then he checked out my ovaries. Done and Done. I was very happy I didn't have to have my uterus filled up with water since I had recently had the dye test. The whole way to the appointment I just kept wondering "how will the water get out? Will I need a pad or a diaper" but I never got the chance to ask, which I am definitely not complaining about.

I go back next Monday, the 24th at noon to go over meds. This time I am going to the Arlington office and I will request the chilliest room they have. I am not shy. Mama likes it cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment