Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I shot myself in the belly!!! All by myself....where's my lolly?

Today was my baseline sonogram. (this is just to make sure I don't have any cysts on my ovaries and nope, there were none to report) The doctor did say that my left ovary is the one that is sad and tired. So come on righty!!! Mama needs a baby!! The doctor was very optimistic that as long as we can get the embryo out of me I will be pregnant! SO yay!!

I have an appointment on Saturday morning for another sono to check my ovaries then my egg retrieval should be either next Thursday or Friday. I will find out for sure on Saturday so will post because we will be needing extra positive thoughts and prayers that day.

On a side note, while at the office, they told me that they wanted me to take my first injection in the next few hours (good thing we live close!), then take the second one this evening. Right when he said this, my head starting spinning...injections...now? I don't have anyone to give it to me. I will have to buck it up and give it to myself. I automatically got a pen and paper out of my purse and asked the nurse to show me how to mix the meds again. I explained my husband and my roommate have been giving my shots and this will be the first time I mix and give to myself. So she went over mixing again and I vigorously took down notes. I felt pretty good about it when I left but as I was driving home, my anxiety went through the roof. I called my neighbor whose husband is a nurse both on their home phone and her cell phone (TWICE!). No answer. I then called a co-worker who knows what is going on and this is how that converation went:

Co-worker: Hello?
Me: Hey, it's Kelley. I have a huge favor to ask and you can tell me no if you are not comfortable, but I need you to shoot me in the belly.
Co-worker: (silence, then laughter)
Me: Please, I just can't shoot myself. I have been trying to psych myself up to do it but I just don't think I can.
Co-worker: Sure, bring it up here and i will do it.....

So I get home and mix the meds together in the syringe and think I am doing pretty well. Just call me Nurse Kelley!! Then I threw away the lid to the syringe.... Now it was either drive to work holding an open needle in my hand or suck it up and shoot myself. I laid down on the couch and tried. No luck. So then I paced around my house for about 10 minutes. Laid on my bed, couldn't do it. Paced around the house a little more, screamed a little then went and looked in the mirror in our bedroom and just did it. No, it didn't hurt and I knew it wouldn't hurt before but it is just the thought of me shooting myself in the belly that gives me the heebie geebies. But I got over that and now I am sitting pretty proud.

1 comment:

  1. i'm proud of you!! i know it's not easy giving yourself a shot!! and i have your lolly!! i'll bring you a few home!! :)

    ReplyDelete